The Eco-Committee at St Mary’s Primary School are a team of enthusiastic and dedicated ‘eco-warriors’ ranging from Year 1 to Year 6.
The Eco-Committee was founded in 2017 after pupils from year 3 undertook research into how to become a more environmentally friendly school. The selection of the Eco-Committee happens at the beginning of each academic year and one child from each year group 1-6 is elected from a range of nominees. All eco-warriors wear a distinctive badge so that others are aware of their role. The Eco-Committee meet up regularly and the meetings are facilitated by Ms Murtin and our school governor Ms Williamson.
• We discuss ideas and make decisions, whilst respecting other people’s opinions.
• We work together to make our school a greener place.
• We aim to make all pupils and staff in our school aware of how they can help take care of the environment.
- Pupils are nominated by their peers to be on the Eco-Committee. This includes all KS1 and KS2 year groups in the school.
- Pupils are given the opportunity to invite along non-teaching staff to join their meetings to help them with a particular topic they have chosen to work on. There is a representation from the parents or governing body on your Eco-Committee.
- The committee meets at least once every half term.
- Pupils share responsibility with adults for running meetings and keeping a record of the meetings.
- Minutes are displayed on our Eco-Board.
- Reports of your Eco-Committee meetings are made available to the Board of Governors.
- Pupil representatives ensure that there is communication to and from the Eco-Committee to the rest of the school
Key Skills of the Eco-Team Members
Our Eco-Committee need to work well together. In their role as a member of the Eco team, they need to have some key skills and values:
Summer Term 2018
The eco-warriors are designing signs to be displayed on paper bins and reminder posters to switch off lights.
Current Ideas – Summer Term 2018
• Conduct environmental review across the school
• Work with gardening club
Spring Term 2018
The eco-warriors designed a special eco trophy for KS2, made by one of the parents in the school. Eco-warriors do regular checks to see if screens and lights have been switched off when not in use. Classes are awarded special eco green bottle tops. The class with the most bottle tops receives the trophy.